Wednesday, July 27, 2011

White House lowers 2025 CAFE target

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/07/26/report-white-house-lowers-2025-cafe-target-to-54-5-mpg/



These kind of numbers just seem so unreasonable to me. I drive a Dodge Caravan mini-van currently that I'm told should be getting 17 city and 24 highway. Not even close.

Alright, if I'm on the open freeway,using the cruise and keeping my RPMs right @2000 I can get near the 24 mpg promised (of course the speed limit is 70 and I'm doing @62). City really doesn't come close. Most of the time I average around 12 to 14 mpg. I do all the tricks. Easy acceleration, don't dash from red light to red light, and keep engine well maintained. To get anywhere near a number like 54.5 is just unfathomable to me.

And as the article explains this is after lowering the number from 62. Of course the automakers have lobbying groups that are pushing hard to get this number even lower. They even realize that these kind of numbers are near impossible. That's asking for a 5% increase every year according to the article.

The Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) are regulations in the United States, first enacted by US Congress in 1975,[1] and intended to improve the average fuel economy of cars and light trucks (trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles) sold in the US in the wake of the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo.


No comments:

Post a Comment